Children's Friendship Program
The UCLA Children’s Friendship Program helps elementary school children who have trouble making or keeping friends through skill building group sessions led by licensed psychologists.
Your child is likely to benefit from the program if he or she:
- Has no friends or few friends
- Is bossy, controlling, or aggressive with other children
- Is shy, reserved, or inattentive with other children
- Has trouble sharing or resolving conflicts
- Is ignored, rejected, or bullied by other children
- Is rarely invited to birthday parties or play dates
During each small-group session, children learn a new skill and practice it with other group members. Children are given weekly assignments to help them apply the new skills in their daily lives. Meanwhile, parents learn how to support their children’s social development, coaching them as they practice their skills in the real world.
Your child will learn these skills:
- Making a good first impression
- Conversing with other children
- Finding common interests with other children
- Playing fairly and being gracious when winning or losing
- Resolving conflicts
- Handling rejection, teasing, and bullying
- Joining other children at play
- Being a good host on a playdate
- Showing respect to other children and adults
Who: Children in 2nd to 5th grades and their parents/caregivers
*First grade policy: 7 year old, 1st graders may be accepted into the program starting April of their 1st grade year
Tuesdays from 5:30pm-6:45pm (second and third graders)
Tuesdays from 7:00pm-8:15pm (fourth and fifth graders)
Wednesdays from 5:30pm-6:30pm (second and third graders)
Wednesdays from 6:45pm-7:45pm (fourth and fifth graders)
Duration: Once a week for 12 weeks
Where: Online via Telehealth
- Download and complete the Children’s Friendship Application and submit via
UCLA Parenting and Children’s Friendship Program
760 Westwood Plaza, Room 27-384
Los Angeles, CA 90024
- Once we have received your application, we will email you a confirmation that we are processing your application. PLEASE NOTE: if you do not receive a confirmation email from us within 2-3 business days after submission, please contact us at (310) 825-0142.
- After processing, our staff will contact you to complete a phone screen and schedule the Telehealth intake appointment with one of our clinicians to determine whether the program is appropriate for you and your child.
We accept many types of insurance. Our programs are billed as outpatient group therapy sessions. Please call or email us for more information about insurance coverage and fees.