PEERS® for Adolescents
Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills (PEERS®) is a 16-week evidence-based social skills intervention for motivated adolescents in middle school or high school who are interested in learning ways to help them make and keep friends. During each group session adolescents are taught important social skills and are given the opportunity to practice these skills in session during socialization activities (e.g. playing sports, board games, etc.).
Parents are taught how to assist their teens in making and keeping friends by providing feedback through coaching during weekly socialization homework assignments.
Enrollment is limited. Classes are on Wednesday evenings from 4:30 to 6:00 pm or 6:30 to 8:00pm at UCLA. Group instruction is provided in English. Regular attendance is imperative. Parent participation is required.
*Groups begin every 16 weeks, and enrollment is ongoing. Group placement is determined by clinician at intake appointment based on group dynamics. Please call 310-267-3377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the enrollment process.
Topics of Instruction:
- How to use appropriate conversational skills
- How to choose appropriate friends
- How to appropriately use electronic forms of communication
- How to appropriately use humor and assess humor feedback
- How to start, enter and exit conversations between peers
- How to organize successful get-togethers with friends
- How to be a good sport when playing games/sports with friends
- How to handle arguments and disagreements with friends and in relationships
- How to handle rejection, teasing, bullying, rumors/gossip, and cyber bullying
- How to change a bad reputation
PEERS for Adolescents Treatment Manual: This social skills manual assists teens in making and keeping friends. To learn more about the treatment or to purchase manual, click here.
Parent-Trade Book: Dr. Elizabeth Laugeson’s innovate book, “The Science of Making Friends: Helping Socially Challenged Teens and Young Adults” provides parents and families with evidence-based tools for building friendships and relationships, and includes a companion DVD. To order the book, click on the link.
Social Skills Role Play Videos: The UCLA PEERS Clinic recently released over 100 social skills role play videos. These videos are excellent resources for teens to learn basic rules of social etiquette. View the videos, here.
UCLA PEERS Facebook Page - more information on the UCLA PEERS Clinic can be found at www.facebook.com/uclapeers
What are the participation requirements?
- Have friendship problems
- Teens in middle school or high school
- Teens must be interested in attending the program
- Teens must agree to participate in the program voluntarily
- Teens must consistently attend the program
- Parent must be willing to participate
- Call our office at 310-267-3377 to complete a 15-minute phone screen with a member of our staff, and subsequently receive an enrollment packet.
- Complete and return your enrollment packet.
- Come to UCLA (parent and teen) for a 1.5-hour intake appointment with one of our clinicians to determine if our program is appropriate for you and your teen.
Duration: 16 weeks
Planned Days: Wednesday
Planned Terms: Year Round
Planned Frequency: Wednesday sessions: 4:30 to 6:00 pm or 6:30 to 8:00pm
Intake appointment self-pay rate: $392
Group self-pay rate: $182
The initial intake appointment is $560 if using insurance. If your insurance company does not cover our program, we offer a reduced self-pay fee of $392 for the intake appointment (30% discount).
The full fee for group sessions is $260 per week (including both parent and teen groups) if using insurance, or $182 per week for self-pay (30% discount).
Please call our office for information about our current fees.
Last updated: May 20, 2018 - 20:01