PEERS® for Preschoolers
Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills (PEERS®) for Preschoolers is a 16-week empirically-supported, parent-assisted social skills treatment program for young children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder or other social challenges who have difficulty in their peer interactions and friendships.
During each group session, children are taught fundamental play and social skills through a live puppet show, followed by a range of games and activities designed to rehearse newly learned skills and reinforce skill development in a naturalistic setting.
Parents simultaneously attend separate sessions and are taught how to help their children make and keep friends by acting as social coaches outside of the group. To maximize parent training, each session includes parent-coached play, consisting of mock play dates between group members, during which parents receive performance feedback from the treatment team on their social coaching.
Enrollment is limited. Classes are on Tuesdays from 3:30 to 5pm at UCLA. Group instruction is provided in English. Regular attendance is imperative. Parent participation is required.
*Groups begin every 16 weeks, and enrollment is ongoing. Please call 310-267-3377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the enrollment process.
Topics of instruction include how to:
- Listen and follow directions
- Ask for and use friends’ names
- Greet friends
- Share and give turns to friends
- Ask for turns during play
- Keep cool when upset during play
- Be flexible, cooperative during play
- Be a good sport
- Sustain play through commenting
- Ask friends to play
- Join ongoing game play
- Transition to new play activities
- Ask for help and help friends
- Maintain appropriate body boundaries
- Use good volume control when talking to friends
UCLA PEERS® Facebook Page- more information on the UCLA PEERS® Clinic can be found at www.facebook.com/uclapeers.
In order to participate, children must:
- Have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder or have other social challenges
- Be between the ages of 4 to 6 years
- Speak consistently and flexibly in phrases or sentences of more than four words
- Not have any significant behavioral problems (e.g., aggression)
- Call our office at 310-267-3377 to complete a 20-minute phone screen with a member of our staff, and subsequently receive an enrollment packet.
- Complete and return your enrollment packet.
- Parent and child come to UCLA for a 1.5 hour intake appointment with one of our clinicians to determine if our program is appropriate for you and your child.
Duration: 16 weeks
Planned Days: Tuesday
Planned Terms: Year Round
Planned Frequency: Tuesdays afternoons: 3:30 to 5pm
Intake appointment self-pay rate: $392
Group self-pay rate: $182
The initial intake appointment is $560 if using insurance. If your insurance company does not cover our program, we offer a reduced self-pay fee of $392 for the intake appointment (30% discount).
The full fee for group sessions is $260 per week (including both parent and preschool groups) if using insurance, or $182 per week for self-pay (30% discount).
Please call our office for information about our current fees.
Last updated: June 12, 2019 - 10:45