Suggested Resources on Communicating With and About Individuals with Disabilities
When talking to an individual with a disability it is important to take some things into consideration. The following web sites provide examples on how to communicate respectfully and sensitively with people with disabilities, offering tips on communication, etiquette, people first language, relationships, and awareness.
- Job Accommodation Network online Newsletter on Disability Awareness and Effective Communication
- National Service Inclusion Project, Communicating with people with disabilities - a video tutorial
- Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association, by Judy Cohen, Tips on Interacting with People with Disabilities
- Research & Training Center on Independent Living, Guidelines: How to Write and Report About People with Disabilities
- U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Disability Employment Policy, Communicating With and About People With Disabilities in the Workplace
The list of resources is provided for information purposes only and does not denote endorsement by the National Arts and Disability Center.