Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills (PEERS®) is a 14-week evidence-based social skills intervention for motivated teens in middle school or high school who are interested in learning ways to help them make and keep friends. During each group session teens are taught important social skills and are given the opportunity to practice these skills in session during real play activities (e.g. playing sports, board games, etc.).
Parents are taught how to assist their teens in making and keeping friends by providing feedback through coaching during weekly socialization homework assignments.
Enrollment is limited. Classes are on Wednesday evenings at UCLA. Regular attendance is imperative. Parent participation is required.
*The next round of PEERS for Teens starts Wednesday, February 18th, 2015, and spaces are still available! Please call 310-267-3377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the enrollment process.
Topics of Instruction:
- How to use appropriate conversational skills
- How to find common interests by trading information
- How to appropriately use humor
- How to enter and exit conversations between peers
- How to handle rejection, teasing, and bullying
- How to handle rumors and gossip
- How to be a good host during get-togethers
- How to make phone calls to friends
- How to choose appropriate friends
- How to be a good sport
- How to handle arguments and disagreements
- How to change a bad reputation
New Parent-Trade Book: We are excited to announce the release of Dr. Elizabeth Laugeson's newest book, "The Science of Making Friends: Helping Socially Challenged Teens and Young Adults". This innovative book provides parents and families with evidence-based tools for building friendships and relationships, and includes a companion DVD. To order the book, please see the below flyer.
UCLA PEERS Facebook Page - more information on the UCLA PEERS Clinic can be found at www.facebook.com/uclapeers
The next round of PEERS for Teens starts Wednesday, February 18th, 2015, and spaces are still available! Please call 310-267-3377 or email email@example.com to begin the enrollment process.