Transition to Independent Living
Taft College’s, Transition to Independent Living (TIL) program is a postsecondary experience for adults with developmental disabilities emphasizing learning independent living skills. It offers a 2-year certificate program in Independent Living. The program stresses the importance of teaching people to accept responsibility for decisions and choices they make. The goal of the program is to offer educational opportunities in vocational training, independent living skills, basic academics, and planning social leisure activities.Students attending the program live in residence halls on the Taft Community College campus and a 4-bedroom house in the community. TIL provides students with:
Enriching collegiate experiences;
- Interactive and inclusive environments;
- Learning activities that will transfer to lifelong independent living skills;
- Job skills necessary for gainful employment;
- Self respect and knowledge of individual strengths;
- Empowerment through education.
Housing: TIL students live in on-campus dormitory rooms and other off-campus housing.
Duration: The Certificate of Completion is a 22 Month course of study.