Statewide Forums on Careers in the Arts for People with Disabilities
The purpose of the Statewide Forums is to form partnerships among the disability and arts communities to address the educational and career needs of artists with disabilities. Since 2002, 27 state arts agencies have conducted Statewide Forums to identify the challenges and opportunities for people with disabilities pursuing employment in the arts through a one day conference format, or multiple regional meetings throughout the state.
Beginning in 2006, support was made available to state art agencies that previously conducted a Statewide Forum to carry out Follow-up activities. The Follow-up activities are based on the identified needs, findings and/or a strategic plan developed resulting from the initial Forum. States have conducted Follow-up activities focusing on: artist employment, artist professional development (workshops, traveling exhibition, showcase); regional artist networking meetings; physical and programmatic accessibility trainings; creation of an online arts magazine; development and updating of arts and disability website resources and directories.
- 2002: Maryland, Minnesota, New Mexico
- 2003: California, Hawaii, Mississippi, Puerto Rico,Washington
- 2004:Arkansas, Indiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, Texas
- 2005: Arizona, Florida, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Ohio
- 2006-2007: Maine, Tennessee, Arkansas*, Florida*, Hawaii*, Indiana*, Minnesota*, Ohio*, Texas*, Washington*
- 2007 -2008: Michigan, Colorado, North Dakota, Florida*, Minnesota*, Nebraska*, Texas*
- 2008-2009: Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, Indiana*, Massachusetts*
2010-2011: Connecticut*, Indiana*, Tennessee*, Texas*
- 2012-2013: Kentucky, Maine*, Missouri*, North Dakota*, Texas*
- 2013-2014: Alaska, Connecticut*, Kentucky*
*Denotes states that have conducted follow-up activities.
The National Arts and Disability Center is a program of the Tarjan Center at UCLA, a University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities. For more information about the Statewide Forums program, please contact Katharine Hayward email@example.com Project Director.