Child and Adolescent Mood Disorders Clinic
The CHAMP program provides diagnostic evaluations, second opinion consultation, and short-term treatments (medication management and various forms of psychotherapy) for youth who have symptoms of significant and impairing mood disorders and their families. The Program’s focus is on pediatric bipolar disorder (extreme high and low moods). We will see children from age 7 years to 17 yrs, 11 mos.
CHAMP offers the following services:
- Diagnostic evaluation
- Psychiatric/medical evaluation
- Short-term family therapy
- Short-term medication management
- Family Educational Seminars
- Referrals for specialized procedures and/or ongoing care
Our diagnostic evaluation is given in two parts:
- An interview with a licensed clinician, generally a clinical psychologist (usually two sessions)
- A meeting with a child psychiatrist for a psychiatric evaluation, including consideration for medical treatments (third session).
Depending on the conclusions of the combined team evaluation, treatment recommendations may include medication treatment and psychosocial therapy sessions involving family education and skill training. Some clients of CHAMP may be offered participation in research studies as well.
For more information on physicians and services at UCLA, please call our Physician Referral Service at (800) UCLA-MD1 or (310) 825-2631. For UCLA Neuropsychiatric and Behavioral Services, contact our ACCESS Center at (800) 825-9989 or (310) 825-9989.
Service available Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PST) to assist you.
In an emergency dial 911