If you are planning on hiring a foreign national, please contact Iriss Brion

H VISA: 6 MONTHS BEFORE START DATE                                                                                                                                                H-1B TEMPORARY WORKER This category is for individuals whom are professionals coming to begin a temporary position with a U.S. employer that require a professional level of education and experience. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) defines a professional (“specialty”) occupation as one requiring the attainment of at least Bachelors degree, or its equivalent, as the minimum for entry into the occupation. At the David Geffen of Medicine at UCLA (SOM), H-1B sponsorship is available only for full-time faculty and academic research positions. 

J VISA: 3 MONTHS BEFORE START DATE.                                                                                                                                                  J-1 RESEARCH SCHOLAR To participate in research activities under the supervision of a UCLA faculty member. May hold PGR or Visiting Scholar Appointment, however may not hold a Clinical title. This category also includes speakers at Conferences receiving an honorarium from UCLA. Maximum 3 years. Includes time spent at another institution on a J-14 visa. Extensions beyond 3 years require special handling and may be difficult to obtain. More information on visas is available through the Dashew Center at UCLAObjective Measurement of English Language Proficiency for New J-1 Exchange Visitors (effective January 5, 2015)