Postdocs are recent Doctoral graduates. They participate in a period of intense research training designed to prepare them for careers in academia and industry. They all hold a payroll title but can be paid a taxable income from the department.
- Hold an appointment at 100% efffort.
- The initial appointment of a Postdoctoral Scholar at the University shall be for a minimum of one year
- Paid appointments with benefits coverage.
Titles and Classification
- Postdoctoral Scholar – Employee (3252): An appointment is made in the title “Postdoctoral Scholar – Employee” when a. the agency funding the salary requires or permits the appointee to be an employee of the University, or b. when ever General Funds, Opportunity Funds or other University discretionary funds are used to support the position.
- Postdoctoral Scholar – Fellow (3253): An appointment is made in the title “Postdoctoral Scholar – Fellow” when the Postdoctoral Scholar has been awarded a fellowship or traineeship for postdoctoral study by an extramural agency and the fellowship or traineeship is paid through a University account.
- Postdoctoral Scholar – Paid Direct (3254): An appointment is made in the title “Postdoctoral Scholar – Paid Direct” when the Postdoctoral Scholar has been awarded a fellowship or traineeship for postdoctoral study by an extramural agency and the agency pays the fellowship or traineeship directly to the Postdoctoral Scholar, rather than through the University. Such appointments shall have a “without-salary” status.
For more information please refer to the Graduate Division website.
Useful Website Resources and Admin Forms
- New and current Postdocs
- Prospective Postdocs
- Postdoctoral Health and Welfare Benefit Plans
Other Handy Stuff
- UCPath : Sign In (Postdoc 3252)
- Tax information - explanation of tax terms (from the Graduate Division website)
- National Institutes of Health:
- NIA National Institute on Aging
- NIAAA National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- NICHD Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- NIDA National Institute on Drug Abuse
- NIMH National Institute of Mental Health
- NCBI Pubmed A service of the US National Library of Medicine and NIH