Study Recruitment - Posting Opportunities for the Public to Participate in Research Studies
How to Post Study Recruitment Participation Opportunities
To truly leverage the help that search engines offer, you should not merely embed an IRB-approved PDF flyer onto any page you choose for 2 reasons:
- Most PDFs are scans, so the text cannot be processed by a text-reader. UCLA is bound by Federal Section 508 to have a text-equivalent of any embedded material (even if it's just a description).
- A PDF is at best mere text - we want to structure information - and the page you have embedded it within may not be the correct context.
Research-associated web pages:
- A 'Research Project' is associated to a Grant, and will have one or more investigators. Usually it will be associated with a timeline and have an abstract summary of its aims, and potential outcomes.
- A 'Participation Opportunity' is a study/project recruitment opportunity generally associated with an existing Research Project, and there may sometimes be more than one participation (recruitment) opportunity associated with each project. On the Semel website, all opportunities to participate are also listed at www.semel.ucla.edu/research/participate
How to add a Participation Opportunity:
- Go to the Project webpage concerned (or create and save a new Project if necessary). The Project webpage should not contain recruitment information.
- Click on the 'add participation opportunity' icon link (near the bottom of the page)
- Add text into the relevant sections, using text as approved by the IRB; usually you are copying the text from the approved flyer.
- Ensure you have categorized the opportunity in the 'Vocabularies' section
Such opportunities are then listed:
- Below the project concerned
- On any project listings pages created for your Group website
- On the master Semel list
- On the conditions/research area category listings (terms as seen on the Semel homepage)
And because you are generating a fresh page, Google is alerted within 24 hours by the Semel server; PDF file uploads do not generate such Google alerts. Participation opportunities are automatically removed from aggregate listings by the server when the IRB 'expiry' date is passed.