Integrated Mood Disorders Study Center  Fall Conference
“Depression: Moving Toward Personalized Medicine”
A Conference co-sponsored by the UCLA Semel Institute and the Deutsch, Knapp, and Kayne Foundations
Friday, December 3rd 9:30am- 4:30pm
Tamkin Auditorium, Level B, Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
- 9:30-9:40 Introduction and Welcome. David J. Miklowitz, Ph.D. Director, Integrated Mood Disorders Study Center
- 9:40-10:25 Keynote: Creativity and Mood Disorders. Peter Whybrow, M.D. Director, UCLA Semel Institute
- 10:25- 12:30 New Developments in Depression Research at UCLA
- 10:25-10:40 Biomarkers of Antidepressant Treatment in Adolescents with Major Depression. Ian Cook, M.D. Andrew Leuchter, M.D., James McCracken, M.D., and Joan Asarnow, Ph.D.
- 10:40-10:55 Development of a Treatment Augmentation Tool for Youth Depression and Suicide Prevention. Jennifer L.. Hughes, Ph.D., Joan Asarnow, Ph.D., Michael Irwin, M.D., and Jeanne Miranda, Ph.D.
- 10:55-11:10 An fMRI Study of Inflammatory Response -Associated Depressed Mood and Social Pain: The Role of Sex Differences. Naomi Eisenberger, Ph.D. and Michael Irwin, M.D.
- 11:10- 11:40. Poster Session with Advanced Education Fellows. Marissa Caudill, M.D., Scott Fears, M.D., and Patricia Walshaw, Ph.D.
- 11:40-11:55 Early Changes in Gene Expression as a Predictor of Antidepressant Treatment Response. Andrew Leuchter, M.D., Ian Cook, M.D., and James McCracken, M.D.
- 11:55-12:10 Identifying Vulnerability Markers for the Development of Bipolar Disorder. Nelson Freimer, M.D. and Lori Altshuler, M.D.
- 12:10-12:30 Depression and Aging. Katherine Narr, Ph.D. and Randall Espinoza, M.D.
- 12:30-1:45 Lunch (on your own)
- 1:45-2:45 Depression in the Community - Ken Wells, M.D., Felica Jones, Elizabeth Dixon, R.N., Ph.D., Bowen Chung, M.D., M.S.H.S., & Abdul-Jabbar Salaam Jami. What are some of the clinical research and community issues in addressing depression in underserved communities in Los Angeles? Experiences in implementing a partnered initiative to address depression in the community will be discussed by community and academic investigators and staff. Preliminary data will also be presented.
- 2:45-4:30 Audience Participation Workshops
- 2:45-3:45 Mood Disorders in Pregnancy and Postpartum: Victoria Hendrick, M.D., & Vivien Burt, M.D. (presentations followed by Q&A)
- 3:45-4:30 Treatments for Bipolar Depression: What’s new? David Miklowitz, Ph.D. (Followed up by Q&A)
Registration is free but please sign up in the box below.
Conference attendees should park in Lot 8. Attendees arriving between 8:30 am and 10:30 am can proceed directly to the top level (Level 4) of Lot 8. There will be attendants available at that point to sell daily permits (at a cost of $10). Attendees arriving before 8:30am or after 10:30am should proceed to the main parking kiosk on Westwood Boulevard, just north of the hospital.
Directions to Parking Lot 8 at UCLA
Heading north or south on the 405 Freeway, take exit for Wilshire Boulevard – East. Proceed east on Wilshire and turn left (north) on Westwood Boulevard. Continue on Westwood and cross Le Conte Avenue to enter the UCLA campus. Keep going north on Westwood Plaza and cross Charles E. Young Drive South. Turn left at the next light to enter Parking Structure 8. Proceed to Level 4 and purchase a parking permit from the attendant. Once parked, exit the parking structure and walk south on Westwood Plaza to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. Go to Tamkin Auditorium on Level B for the Mood Disorders Conference.
Parking information, public transport and maps at www.semel.ucla.edu/maps .
Please note that the event has now reached capacity and signups are closed