The UCLA Department of Pediatrics was founded in 1950, and the Marion Davies Children’s Health Center construction was completed in 1962. Since that time, we have grown to include affiliations with Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Martin Luther King/Drew University, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and Olive View Medical Center. Our goals are patient care, teaching, and research to meet the missions of the Department and the University. Known worldwide for its research and expertise in complex procedures, UCLA Medical Center year after year is ranked among the leaders in pediatrics by U.S. News and World Report's annual survey of "America's Best Hospitals."
In 1995, we became a member of the National Association of Children’s Hospitals and Related Institutions (NACHRI), and classified as a "hospital within a hospital." In 1998, the hospital was renamed the Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA in recognition gift to the hospital by Mattel, Inc.