- New Hire Process: To initiate the hiring process you will first need to fill out our Academic Trainee Appointment form(note: this form will need to be printed out on Blue paper). Please include the following:
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of objective
- Graduate Division Postdoctoral Scholar Appointment Form
- Graduate Division Postdoctoral Scholar Personal Data Form
- Proof of Degree
- If NIH Training Grant, please provide a copy of the NIH Statement of Appointment
Once a completed packet is received by the ATO, it is then submitted to your fund manager for approval. Once it is approved, the PD will be contacted (usually via email) to come in to complete their new hire paperwork. Our office requests for at least two weeks before the anticipated hire date to allow sufficient time for processing. For more information/policies regarding Postdoctoral Scholar Appointments, visit the Graduate Division website.
- Visas. If you are planning on hiring a foreign national, please contact Iriss Brion:
- H VISA: 6 MONTHS BEFORE START DATE. H-1B TEMPORARY WORKER This category is for individuals whom are professionals coming to begin a temporary position with a U.S. employer that require a professional level of education and experience. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) defines a professional (“specialty”) occupation as one requiring the attainment of at least Bachelors degree, or its equivalent, as the minimum for entry into the occupation. At the David Geffen of Medicine at UCLA (SOM), H-1B sponsorship is available only for full-time faculty and academic research positions.
- J VISA: 3 MONTHS BEFORE START DATE. J-1 RESEARCH SCHOLAR To participate in research activities under the supervision of a UCLA faculty member. May hold PGR or Visiting Scholar Appointments, However may not hold a Clinical title. This category also includes speakers at Conferences receiving an honorarium from UCLA. Maximum 3 years. Includes time spent at another institution on a J-14 visa. Extensions beyond 3 years require special handling and may be difficult to obtain. More information on visas is available through the Dashew Center at UCLA
- Benefits and leaves. For more detail, visit the Graduate Division website.
- Reappointments. Please include the follwing:
- Terminations. Please include the following:
- Letter of Resignation
- If the appointment will end before the approved appointment end date, complete thePostdoctoral Scholar Exception Request Form at least two weeks in advance of the early separation.
- Recommendation for Issuance of Certificate of Postdoctoral Study
- If NIH Training Grant, please provide the original Termination Notice
- For more details, visit the Graduate Division website.