If you are planning on hiring a foreign national, please contact Iriss Brion

    • H VISA: 6 MONTHS BEFORE START DATE. H-1B TEMPORARY WORKER This category is for individuals whom are professionals coming to begin a temporary position with aU.S.employer that require a professional level of education and experience. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) defines a professional (“specialty”) occupation as one requiring the attainment of at least Bachelors degree, or its equivalent, as the minimum for entry into the occupation. At the David Geffen of Medicine at UCLA (SOM), H-1B sponsorship is available only for full-time faculty and academic research positions. 
    •  J VISA: 3 MONTHS BEFORE START DATE. J-1 RESEARCH SCHOLAR To participate in research activities under the supervision of a UCLA faculty member. May hold PGR or Visiting Scholar Appointments, However may not hold a Clinical title. This category also includes speakers at Conferences receiving an honorarium from UCLA. Maximum 3 years. Includes time spent at another institution on a J-14 visa. Extensions beyond 3 years require special handling and may be difficult to obtain. More information on visas is available through theDashewCenterat UCLA
    • Objective Measurement of English Language Proficiency for New J-1 Exchange Visitors (effective January 5, 2015)

      • Any DS-2019 form issued on or after January 5, 2015 will require the student or scholar beginning a new J-1 program to demonstrate English language proficiency in one of three ways:

      1.    A recognized English language test

      2.    Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school;

      3.    A documented interview conducted by the faculty supervisor either in-person or by videoconferencing, or by telephone if videoconferencing is not a viable option.

      The new form must be included with DS-2019 Request Applications submitted on or after January 5, 2015.