You can teach an old dog new tricks, say UCLA scientists who found that middle-aged and older adults with little Internet experience were able to trigger key centers in the brain that control decision-making and complex reasoning after just one week of surfing the Web. The findings, presented Oct.
Nature News published an Oct. 14 feature on Dr. Alcino Silva, professor of neurobiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and professor of psychiatry at the Semel Institute, and his research in mice aiming to enhance how the brain works.
Division of Medical Psychology-Neuropsychology
The Division of Medical Psychology-Neuropsychology has developed a broad range of administrative, clinical, teaching and research activities. The program provides administrative oversight for over 200 faculty, staff, and trainees throughout the UCLA Health System. Psychologists provide clinical service across all the divisions of the Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital, and diverse divisions in other departments (Neurology, Neurosurgery, Pediatrics, and various surgery programs). The faculty is actively involved in teaching at all levels from pre-doctoral through post-doctoral, both for physicians and psychologists in training.
Our postdoctoral fellowships, internships and externships for clinical psychology and neuropsychology are internationally renowned and among the largest in the world. The Psychology faculty maintains a broad and diverse portfolio of funded research programs across the many Semel Institute Centers and Programs. Noteworthy examples among these research initiatives spearheaded specifically within the Medical Psychology-Neuropsychology program, include:
- The Consortium for Neuropsychiatric Phenomics, supported by the NIH Roadmap Initiative, is is helping to define cognitive phenotypes that may one day replace conventional psychiatric diagnoses in the search for genetic bases and effective treatments for neuropsychiatric syndromes.
- The Center for the Biology of Creativity, supported by the Tennenbaum Family Initiative and complemented by participating investigator resources, brings together a campus-wide team of scientists to pursue highly innovative interdisciplinary research on the molecular, cellular, neural systems, and cognitive bases of exceptional abilities.
Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences
760 Westwood Plaza, C8-849
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Sponsored by The Brain Research Institute, The Semel Institute for Neuroscience & Human Behavior and the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
Full detail at www.bri.ucla.edu
The take-home message: helmets and seat belts
Intellectual Development and Disabilities Research Center
- Basic research into core causes of developmental disabilities.
- Basic research and translational research designed to lead to possible interventions to treat causes as well as improve quality of life for patient and family.
- Interact with clinical services to implement and translate basic research findings into clinical studies.
- Education to train next generation of researchers.
- Communication of research discoveries to clinicians, patients, and family members in our community.
More information currently at www.iddrc.ucla.edu
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information